Friday, December 12, 2008

Delight Yourself in the Lord

When I was young, I looked up to my father as my role model, my hero, someone who was very wise and very brave and very strong. I remember immitating him and spending a lot of time with him. I remember we use to take long walks by the shore, we'd wrestle, he taught me how to fire a gun and self-defense, he brought me to the mechanic whenever he'd have his car fixed and when he was wit his buddies, I would be right there tagging along with him. In short, I enjoyed being with my father. I learned and loved what he loved to do and that made our bond all the more stronger. And because we were too much alike, whenever I'd ask something from my father, he would easily give it to me. When he bought something for himself, he'd buy one for me, too. It was easy for him to buy me stuff because I was so much like him. He knew what he liked and since I was so much like him, he knew what I liked and that was what I'd usually get for my birthday or christmas or those in between days when he was just feeling generous.

I guess that's what Psalms 37:4 mean. "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."

When we love the Lord so much that we spend so much time reading His word, meditating on His word and applying those truths in our lives, we become a lot like Jesus. When God sees us, He sees the face of the Lord Jesus in us and because God the Father and Jesus are so much alike and we look so much like Jesus in the eyes of the Father, it becomes easy for Him to give us the desires of our heart because what we want is already in tune with what He wants.

Our desires, our passions should be in tune with God's. That way He can bless us as we continually fellowship with Him with pure love and delight.

No comments: